Nearly all employers in New York are required to provide workers’ compensation insurance for their employees. Even undocumented workers — those with no green card and no Social Security number, who are sometimes referred to as illegal aliens, — have a right to receive workers’ compensation when injured on the job.
HOW IT WORKS IN NEW YORK
If an employee is injured in a workplace accident or develops a work-related illness, disability or disease, he or she is entitled to receive benefits at no cost through the employer’s workers’ compensation insurance.
“What you are entitled to under the law and what the insurance company will pay for are two different things.” — Attorney Alan M. Cass
Contact the workers’ compensation attorneys at Alan M. Cass and Associates to make sure you are receiving all the benefits and compensation you deserve. We offer a free, no-obligation initial consultation for injured workers from any profession.
WHAT DO IF YOU ARE INJURED
If you are injured on the job, it is important to:
- Give notice: Tell your supervisor about the injury as soon as possible. Failure to promptly report the injury can put your right to compensation at risk.
- Get medical treatment: You can go to your own doctor. Just be sure to tell the doctor that you were injured on the job.
- File a workers’ compensation claim: Our attorneys can help you file the initial claim.
WHAT BENEFITS ARE AVAILABLE? LABOR LAW 240 AND OTHER WORK INJURY BENEFITS
Workers’ compensation includes a number of benefits, including:
- Cash benefits: You can receive two thirds of your gross pay per week. The maximum weekly payment depends on your date of accident.
- Medical benefits: including all necessary doctor visits, hospital care, diagnostic testing, surgery, and prescription medications, without cost or co-pay to you. You also have the ability to choose your own doctor.
- Death benefits for the surviving spouse and/or minor children of a worker who died because of a work related accident or illness.
WHY HIRE A WORKERS’ COMPENSATION ATTORNEY?
Workers’ compensation is a complicated and rapidly changing field of law. The system was overhauled dramatically in 2007 and the smoke hasn’t yet cleared from those changes. In order to ensure that you obtain all the benefits and compensation your are entitled to receive, it is important to speak to an attorney who understands the law and is willing to fight for you.
Call For a Free Consultation
To arrange a free consultation with the law office of Alan M. Cass and Associates, call toll free: 212-349-3420 or e-mail us today. From offices in Manhattan, our workers’ compensation lawyers represent clients from New York City and throughout the tri-state area.